Saturday, May 10, 2014

The 2014 Chez Nash Humphrey Garden. On paper, anyways.

I'm pretty pumped about our garden this year. The last two times, I've only done containers on our deck - partially due to the wildlife that sashays through our yard (deer, bunnies, raccoons, skunks, etc.) and partially due to my laziness (out of sight, out of mind). 

My high school has an annual flower sale to raise scholarship money, and in the last few years, they've also offered herbs and veggies, along with flower and decorative plants. I feel it's a good cause, the prices aren't super high, and the plants are generally in good shape. 

This year, I am expanding to multiple tomato plants and also expanding my herbs, so this is what I expect to pick up next week:


- 3 garlic chives
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- 3 shallots
- 3 lettuce
- 2 basil
- 2 green peppers*
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 cilantro
- 1 big beef tomato
- 1 lemon boy tomato
- 1 hidcote lavender
- 1 dill
- 1 rosemary
- 1 thyme
- 1 spearmint
- 6 yellow bonanza marigolds*
- 2 red geranium pots (for our front porch)

The big beef tomato, lemon boy tomato, and cherry tomatoes are the items I'll put directly in the ground. All of the other veggie and herbs, I'll keep on the deck, in containers. Luckily, I have tomato cages ready for them, and two weekends ago, I got all of the containers ready, i.e. I dumped last year's stuff out - recycled the plant parts and tossed the soil into a nice corner to return to nature.

We have two nice spots that I think will be good for the tomato plants, and possibly the  jalapeños too - one near the south-east corner and another on the south side. I'll just need to rig up good fencing/perimeter to keep out the animals, like bunnies. Last week there were two chillaxing in the south-east corner spot.....



I'm really excited about the plants in general, and trying some in the actual ground. Our backyard has a weird slope in the middle, so we don't have a really good spot for a full-fledged garden. I do really like to see the containers on our deck too. I can look out, over the kitchen island, and see my green things growing. It gives me a weird sense of accomplishment, not only to keep them alive, but to grow things I can use in my recipes. 

I'll post updates throughout the summer to let you know how things are progressing. I hope I have lots of fun updates to share!!!


Do you have any plans for a garden, of any variety? 
Is there something that always does well? 
Is there a plant with which you always seem to struggle?

*-If you live in Columbus and are interested in the marigolds or the green pepper - contact me at anamcara1004 ( at ) gmail.com. I'm not a big fan of either, but they came bundled with other things, so up for grabs. Happy to barter!

No comments:

Post a Comment