Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Never Allow My Sister To Be Unsupervised Near A Label Maker.

My sister, her spouse and some friends crashed at Chez Nash Humphrey one night while we were on The Very Special Adventure. All was completely well, but there was a small carton of whipping cream left in the frig upon our return (which is no big deal). I noticed though that she had added this small label to the carton, since I'd left my label maker on the end of the island counter, i.e. completely accessible. I am wondering where else in my house I may come upon labels on things......she's a mite predictable, that one.
Her friend, Amber, is not, in fact, a goober.
There was just enough whipping cream for me to put it to good use with further experimentation with Toffee Saltines. So thanks to our houseguests for the whipping cream - it was used!

After discussions (and some light cursing from others - mainly cursing my name for bringing them into work), I decided to try a different cracker/cookie other than saltines. Before we left for vacation, I made them with honey grahams and honestly, it was delightful. But this time, I used vanilla wafers. 

Much cursing has been pointed in my direction the last couple of days, as well as three requests for the recipe, so I'm going to claim success. 

I have plans for more experimentation and shall keep you updated as to how it works out. Thinking ginger snaps with 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips and maybe 1/2 cinnamon chips? Townhouse crackers with butterscotch and chocolate chips? 

I mean, seriously, the possibilities are endless. And scrumptious. 

Re-posting the recipe here, so you don't have go clicking links all day:

Coralyn's Toffee Treats (decided to switch up the name - creative license)
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 sleeves of saltines or as many crackers or cookies fit on a large baking sheet
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 bag chocolate chips (12 oz)
  • chopped walnuts for garnish
Vanilla wafers as the base. Delightful.
Thoroughly cover baking sheet with foil - use a sheet with sides as the mixture is liquid and VERY sticky. Spray foil lightly with Pam spray (not critical but it can help with the removal).Line sheet with saltines, place edge to edge - might have slight overlapping. Melt sugar and butter in saucepan over medium heat. As mixture begins to bubble, add vanilla. Boil until sugar is completely dissolved, mixture will thicken (2-3 minutes), stir regularly. Pour over saltines - start from outside and then spread quickly cause mixture cools fast. Bake at 375 for 10-15 min until golden brown. While this cools, melt choc chips (+ extra vanilla + milk/half & half/whipping cream) over low heat. Spread choc evenly over toffee. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.

Place in fridge for a few hours to harden. After hard (that's what she said), break into irregular shapes. Stores up to a week in airtight containers. One baking sheet makes approx. 34 oz of toffee. 

Notes on my preparation
  • I used Pam and it did really help with removal as my toffee still got foil stuck to it (which I gently pried out before giving to anyone to eat - jeez!) so can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't taken that step. 
  • I used natural cane sugar instead of granulated white sugar so it took a few minutes longer to melt in the butter, maybe 5 minutes.
  • In addition to vanilla extract, I also used a skosh of King Arthur'sPrincess Cake and Cookie Bakery Emulsion. This $hit is the bomb for baked goods - and a little dash will do ya!
  • I used half Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips and half Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips + added some extra vanilla and a little milk to the chocolate chips, while they were melting. It seemed to help the consistency & melting process. 
    • If you don't have milk, you can also half & half, or as mentioned at the start of this post, whipping cream. 
  • I did not use any nuts but I can see where that might be tasty.
The final result. Yummy.
Still have no idea who the hell Coralyn is but she's ok in my book. 

I've asked everyone who has requested the recipe to let me know how they tweak the recipe and then also, the result of said tweaking. 
I'm excited to hear the creativity that goes into future batches of this yummy treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment