Thursday, July 25, 2013

Gardening in the 'Burbs, Part Deux.

This summer has been rather bi-polar - for lack of a better term. June was chilly & rainy (had a spate of 20 days straight with at least some rain). July for the most part has been hot, humid, and hellish. The last two days have been absolutely gorgeous: low humidity, lows in the 50s, highs in the 70s, sunny - just perfection in meteorology. 

It's worked out well for *most* of my 'lil plants. 

Garden timeline
  • Plants picked up May 15
  • Potted late-May-ish
Update, as of July 25
Beefsteak tomatoes: kicking a$$ and taking names. Need to have more next year but take a gander. 

Roma tomatoes: also doing well although not growing super big. 

Lettuce plants: one making a roaring comeback, the other eeking along.
  

Herbs: Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Sweet mint and Spearmint plants kicking it. 
 

 

Shallots: coming along. The maturation period is 90-150 days so thinking late next month, I'll pull one up and see how it's doing. I use these a lot in my dishes as I prefer the flavor over regular onions.

Peppers: there's one red pepper coming along and three jalapenos that are getting there. 
 

Cucumbers: most excited about these because I had no idea what to expect but there are some on the vine. Not sure how big they will get. Next year, I'll be better prepared and have a larger pot - maybe more like a window box or something. 

And then........there are my abject failures: cilantro and dill. 
Wah wah. I normally have much better luck with cilantro. Owel. You win some, you lose some.


How are your gardens faring? 

Smell ya later, peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment