Friday, November 7, 2014

Crustless Pumpkin Pie. Autumn in a pan, basically.

If you follow my Instagram feed (or my personal Facebook page), then you may have already seen and/or requested the recipe for the Crustless Pumpkin Pie I made last week for our office Hallowe'en Party. If not, well, prepare to be impressed with my incredible baking genius. *Uh, not really. I just followed the recipe. Mostly.

We have a number of folks who are gluten-free at my office, and since I was part of the crew to plan said festivities, I thought it might be nice to make sure everyone had yummy grub to eat, so signed up for a gluten-free side and dessert. I made homemade salsa & brought gluten free tortilla chips as the side, then a gluten-free crustless pumpkin pie as the dessert. It was pretty dang scrumptious and really easy to make. I had everything in my house actually, which was a complete bonus. 


The original recipe can be found at Grain Crazy, but the info is listed in its' entirety below. In addition to gluten-free, this recipe is also dairy-free, and with the right substitutions (if you a vegan who doesn't eat honey), you could also make this 100% vegan, too. *Don't forget to read the whole thing, including my hacks at the bottom!*

Pie Ingredients
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
1 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk (or coconut or almond/coconut)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Topping Ingredients
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal (like quick oats)
1/4 cup quinoa flour or some other gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Instructions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a square baking pan, ideally nothing smaller than 8" x 8". 
3. Mix all of the ingredients of the pie ingredients together until nicely blended. I did it by hand and it went together quickly and smoothly.
4. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the greased square baking ban and smooth out, until even.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
6. Add the honey and mix well.
7. In a small dish, melt the coconut oil until just about melted and add to the pecan mixture until nicely blended. I did this with a spatula and everything went together quickly and smoothly. 
8. Sprinkle topping onto the pumpkin layer.
9. Place the pan, uncovered, into the pre-heated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the dish, comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes, so the pumpkin part has a chance to set-up. 
11. Store the left-overs in the fridge.

My Hacks
- I added a bit of powdered ginger in addition to the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- After reading the comments on the original post, some readers had hoped for a more custard like pumpkin layer, and one enterprising person added 2 eggs to achieve that. I did the same, and really enjoyed the texture. It was more pumpkin pie like.
- I didn't put anything on top, but I bet whipped cream or even ice cream would be smashing. 
- I am only going to say this once, because I just can't even believe I'm saying it once: I thought one recipe of the topping didn't look like enough, so I made a second batch to add to the top. It was too much. I KNOW, I KNOW - how can that be possible? There's never too much topping! But this time, there was, in that it took away from the yummy deliciousness of the pumpkin part. Since I'm making it again soon, I'm going to go with a 1.5 : 1 ratio (topping : pie) and see how that shakes out. I'm also going to try one egg, instead of 2, just to see how that changes the recipe.

This is also the kind of recipe that is almost better the day after you make it, or even the day after the day after.

If you make it, let me know what you think and how you may have hacked it too!


My colleagues were super creative with their costumes, so I'm going to use blog real estate and post some of the pics. Really was a fun time!
The Ghost of Woody Hayes
Gray Scale Lady - she got up at 5 a.m. to apply the stage makeup. Seriously incredible.
Thing 1 and Thing 2
Lil Orphan Annie. Colleague's hair is naturally Annie red, she just curled it. 
My personal fave, frankly: a female colleague went as the PBS painter, Bob Ross, who I adored.
All she needed was a stuff squirrel on her shoulder to make it super complete, but
the painting, palette and brush were fan-freaking-tastic!!
Wendy, Walter White and King (LeBron) James
This is my fabulous Partner-In-Crime (The Work Edition), who was a piece of sushi.
Her headband was the dollop of wasabi + pinkled ginger. Brilliant.

And so I can embarrass myself, my costume. Any guesses?
For those of you who know the answer, take a hint from the "Whad'Ya Know" disclaimer and sit on your hands. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Crustless Pumpkin Pie. Autumn in a pan, basically". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- vocational cooking school | chocolate making college dubai

    ReplyDelete